Network Performance Measurement using Wireshark
This assignment, detailed below, is designed to develop students’ deep analytical understanding of different distributed network conditions, and the purpose includes, but is not limited to, presenting understanding to a wide range of technical and non-technical audience. This exercise will provide opportunity to learn underlying inherent mechanism of networked application protocols. It has scope to do comparative study between different network conditions to ensure load balancing and QoS. This exercise provides them with the opportunity to demonstrate analytical ability of evaluating distributed systems performance, Quality of Service and service management.
Overview and General instructions of Assignment
The students need to use captured Wireshark data to explain the performance of the distributed system behind the given web system.
Your tutor will allocate Group from Table 1 to each student.
Capture your own data according to the group allocated and the websites below.
- In two different network conditions.
- Your capture should include a number of multimedia content (such as large images, etc.,) including video/audio (live or offline streaming).
- using Wireshark (tools/graph specification) for live video/audio and multimedia data types.
The captured Wireshark data should be used to analyse the network performance at:
- Two different network conditions.
- Each student needs to prepare an individual report of their analysis using performance parameters specified for that particular website.
- Report must include screenshots.
- The student also pair with another student who is working on the same group and compare their findings and each can then write one to two paragraphs about it.
Table 1: Websites, their grouping and relevant statistical analytical tools/performance parameters.
NB: You can also demonstrate other statistics that you find to be significant for analysing this network traffic. A document is uploaded on Moodle with name “Wireshark HTTP Analysis.pdf”. You can use this document to help on capture and analysis.
Example of marking criteria is shown in following table. Marks are allocated as follows:
Section to be included in the report
Description of the section
Outline of the report ( in 3-4 sentences)
Analyse the topic in terms of network performance at different network conditions for different data types
The significance of the project to given performance parameters.
Appropriateness of finding
Relate BN208 content and compare
The student need to pair with one of their friend who is working on a website from same group and compare their findings and write one to two paragraphs about it.
Draw conclusion of the report
Follow IEEE reference style